We met up with CX at the party at the Delancey Lounge, a club on Manhattan's Lower East Side. As we lounged around waiting for the live performances to begin, a video played showing footage of Williams and CX performing. It then cut to scenes from a hotel room, where Williams and CX were working on new music with Trent Reznor. I later asked CX about Trent's involvement in Saul Williams's new album. "Trent hooked us up with some heavy shit," CX said.
A few days after the party, which included an inspired performance by CX and a number of other artists, I asked CX about doing an interview for the Hotline and he agreed. So without further ado...
1. So how did you and Saul Williams hook up with Nine Inch Nails in the first place?
TRENT SAW THE VIDEO FOR "LIST OF DEMANDS," AND PICKED UP A PHONE.
2. What was it like touring with NIN?
IT WAS THE BEST. MY FIRST BIG ARENA TOUR. I SAW THE KISS DYNASTY TOUR IN A BIG OL HOCKEY ARENA WHEN I WAS 8.
3. Tell us about your background. Where did you grow up? What were your musical influences?
I AM FROM THE WORLD OF ZERF IN THE 5TH QUADRANT. I FIRST LANDED IN DETROIT, ROCK CITY. I HAVE LIVED IN NEW YORK, WISCONSIN, AND ATLANTA.
EVERYTHING INFLUENCES THE MUSIC, BUT IF I WERE TO NAME TWO GROUPS, IT WOULD BE KISS, AND MANTRONIX.
4. I saw on your myspace profile that you worked with Saul Williams in the early 90's in Atlanta in the group K.I.N. How did that come about? Did you continue to work together through the 90's?
SAUL AND I WENT TO THE SAME 14TH AND 15TH GRADE SCHOOL TOGETHER, AND HE USED TO BE A DANCER/HYPEMAN IN THE GROUP K.I.N. THAT STAGE SHOW ALSO FEATURED A MAN WITH AN AX, 3 SMALL TRAMPOLINES WE WOULD JUMP AROUND ON, AND A WHIPPING WHITE SLAVEMASTER. I DIDN'T WORK WITH SAUL IN THE LATE 90'S.
5. What was it like to work with Trent on Saul Williams's new album? What kind of heavy shit did he hook you guys up with? Does Trent perform at all in any of the new material?
IT WAS COOL TO COLLAB WITH TRENT AND SAUL. THE HEAVY SHIT WAS THE BIG THICK BASS, LOUD DRUMS, WIDE SONIC SOUNDSCAPES, AND POWER BALLADS. YES, TRENT DOES PERFORM IN THE NEW SONGS.
6. Let's talk about your new album, KRAK ATTACK. Although there's a detailed and comprehensive history of the KRAK on your myspace profile, could you tell our readers, in a nutshell, about the KRAK?
IT'S THE DESTROYER. THE ILLER KILLER. WE ARE CELEBRATING THE 5TH YEAR NOW OF THE KRAK TAKEOVER, AND THE BEAUTIFUL LADIES OF LOW-RISE. AND NOW - ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMERTIME, THE EYES AND MIND ARE CONSTANTLY BOMBARDED WITH KRAK. I LIKE TO LICK IT, AND GET THAT NUMB FEELING ON MY TONGUE.
7. What is the K.W.O. (KRAK WORLD ORDER)? Is the K.W.O. a threat to humanity or is it the only thing that will save us from total annhiliation?
IT'S THE SECRET GOVERNMENT, SO I REALLY CAN'T SPEAK ON IT, AND THERE IS NO SAVING US. WE ARE DOOMED. OUTER SPACE IS THE ONLY NEXT MOVE. I HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED LAND ON THE MOON MYSELF. I CALL IT KRAKADELPHIA, EVEN THOUGH THE LOW GRAVITY THERE WILL HELP THE LADIES.
8. George W. Bush: friend or enemy of the KRAK?
I DON'T TRUST POLITICS, SO, WHATEVER. THANKFULLY, NONE OF THE PROPOSED "DROOPY DRAWERS" LAWS WERE PASSED IN VIRGINIA AND LOUISIANA - WHICH WOULD HAVE GIVEN PEOPLE $50.00 FINES FOR KRAK HAPPENINGS.
BUSH CAN'T STOP KRAK.
9. So where can our readers catch you performing live this summer?
STAY TUNED TO THE "UPCOMING SHOWS" LIST ON MY MYSPACE PAGE. I UPDATE IT EVERY WEEK. THIS MONTH: FINLAND AND SOUTH AFRICA WITH SAUL. NYC WITH MY PARTNERS E.K.G., AND JASON BK (DEUCE GANGSTA), AND THE KRAKANAUTS - FEMALE DANCERS.
10. So why should NIN Hotline readers listen to KRAK ATTACK?
BECAUSE IT'S PART OF THE PUZZLE.
11. Anything else you'd like our readers to know about or check out?
YEAH - LADIES, WE'RE NOW ACCEPTING KANDID KRAK PHOTO SUBMISSIONS FOR THE NEXT ALBUM COVER: "KRAK ATTACK 2: BACK KRAK WITH A VENGEANCE" (WHICH WILL FEATURE A SONG CALLED "MR SELF DESTRUCT PT 2" BY ME AND TRENT REZNOR.) EMAIL PICS TO CXKIDTRONIK@CXKIDTRONIK.COM. I ALSO WANT ALL Y'ALL OUT THERE TO STAY TUNED, WE STILL GOT THE "KRAKFEST" DVD COMING, THE KRAK ATTACK BOOTY-BURNER HOTSAUCE,
I ALSO HAVE DIFFERENT KRAKHEAD LOGO T-SHIRTS IN THE WORKS.
The NIN Hotline would like to thank CX KiDTRONiK for doing this interview. Be sure to check out his new album, KRAK ATTACK, which can be purchased for only eight bucks at this link. And be sure to catch CX KiDTRONiK on stage this summer! ** Attention NIN fans in NYC: you should definitely plan on attending CX's show at the Delancey Lounge this Sunday, July 2nd! **